Thursday 6 October 2011

Love, Cake, Quotes.

Salutations, mortals. This evening we blog. And we're jumping in at the deep end. With no arm bands. Nervous? Good.
Love. It's almost sickening. Bleugh. In many respects I can't stand that word- it's overused to the point where it doesn't mean anything. But, on the other hand I think if there's one thing many a great novel/poem/song tries to teach us, it's the value of love. And it's force amongst humans. Where would you be without the love of your parents, guardians, sisters, brothers, and all the rest of them? Where would you be without your husband, or your wife? Your children? Your closest friends? Who knows...?
How do you know you're in love? Is it like the love a chubby kid has for cake? (I'm not discriminating against chubby kids. I love cake.)
'When you fall in love it is a temporary madness.' (-Captain Corelli's Mandolin)
"'Tis said of love that it sometimes goes, sometimes flies; runs with one, walks gravely with another; turns a third into ice, and sets a fourth in a flame: it wounds one, another it kills: like lightening it begins and ends in the same moment: it makes that fort yield at night which it besieged but in the morning; for there is no force able to resist it." -Cervantes.
Today I heard the funniest quote from one philosopher or another: "Lord, make me chasty. But not just yet..."
So, maybe I'm not qualified to give advice, but if you read Catullus Poem 5, you will find something you can relate to. He tells his love, Lesbia, to live in the moment, that suns may come and go, but once their brief light is out the night is perpetual. And they must confuse their many kisses, but forever hold them dear.
Yeah. I know. Even I amaze myself, sometimes.
A nugget of wisdom: Apparently true love lasts forever. I will always love cake.
-Daphne

No comments:

Post a Comment