Saturday 1 October 2011

THE AMERICANS.

Good morning. Sort of. I mean, it's currently 6 minutes gone midnight.
There's quite a lot of American influence all over the world. Well, okay, A LOT of American influence. Now, I have nothing against the Americans at all. Nay, the world would be boring without them, who else could make themselves sound a bit "special" by pronouncing aluminium like "aloominum" instead of "aluhminyum" and get away with it? Not the English. Who else could say 'pants' instead of trousers, or 'pacifier' instead of dummy, or even 'sidewalk' instead of pavement, and get away with it? Not the English.
The simple reason being: in England if you said those words in an English accent, you'd be given a slightly confused almost horrified glare.
Many can't stand Yankeetown residents. I, however, have come to find most of their accents highly amusing and somewhat endearing. It doesn't help that I have close friends in the north of the country who find the phrase 'Bloody hell' just as hilarious as I find them- just them. In general.
What's with all the patriotism? I love my country, of course. Queen and country and all that. But, honestly, I'd never realised just how proud a nation the Americans are...for the most part.
I have but one tiny criticism. Harry Potter. That's our thing. Don't try turning it around, with all this fan-fiction or whatever. DUMBLES WOULD NEVER HAVE ALLOWED IT.
So, if you're American, let me know. I find you all as a whole, extremely amusing. Just don't call yourselves wizards, or swear like we do.
A nugget of wisdom: the Romans only had ten months. Decem is latin for ten. December.
-Daphne

2 comments:

  1. Hello from America! I am an American and very proud to be so - I'm very glad you haven't anything against us. :) I haven't got anything against the English either, there are actually some things I absolutely adore about the English. For example, Dame Vera Lynn - best singer EVER - I love Dame Vera!!! Plus, your accents are absolutely fantastic and tea...I'm a tea drinker. :)

    Sincerely,
    Natalie from America

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evenin' Natalie! Thanks for your comment! I LOVE Vera Lynn! She's so beautiful! And her music is timeless. Ah, gotta love tea, but coffee will always get you up in the morning ;) It's always good to hear from you,
    Daphne.

    ReplyDelete